Monday, April 02, 2007

Spring Break

After arriving in NYC Saturday morning, we successfully found the bus and took the right subway train and arrived at our friend Leslie's apartment without ever getting lost. Taxi, shmaxi. Leslie immediately took us out on the town, and we waited in line almost 2 hours to eat at Grimaldi's. It was worth the wait. This shot of Brooklyn Bridge would be more picturesque if not for that dumb Verizon building.
We walked across Brooklyn Bridge, and then walked all over Chinatown and down Canal St. We then walked all over Little Italy and through SoHo.
The next day we took a ferry out to the Statue of Liberty. Well, out past the Statue of Liberty. We didn't trounce upon her, but we got a nice view.
Col and I explored the city for a few days while Leslie worked on papers and attended classes. We saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway which was fabulous, and then did lots of touristy stuff - wandered around Times Square, went up to the top of the Empire State Building, went to Ground Zero, walked around Central Park, and saw the Metropolitan Museum. We missed Addie a lot but we took advantage of being free nights and went to Mobay, a Jazz club in Harlem, Le Souk, a Moroccan restaurant/night club, and to a concert at The Cutting Room. We went to the Late Show with David Letterman which was really fun and another jazz club with Leslie and my friend Sarah whose friend was singing at it. She was amazing and so was the band (Django Reinhardt/Swing Kids sound).
We also wandered around Prospect Park and Park Slope where I saw Jennifer Connelly in her doorway. I resisted the urge to yell "YOU'RE JENNIFER CONNELLY!!"
We took the Chinatown Fung Wah bus -it's extremely cheap which suited us just fine, and met up with friends in Boston. We were given a tour of Harvard where my friend Chris is getting his PhD in I Speak Every Language You've Ever Heard Of. He also served as our guide on The Freedom Trail. It was really awe-inspiring to see all the historical sights and monuments.We also saw a lot of small doors...... and some VERY small doors. I knocked on all of them, just in case. You never know when a very interesting, very short person will answer.
We went out to Lexington and spent some time in Concord. This is Ye Old Manse where both Hawthorne and Emerson lived at one time or another. This is Ye Old Boat House behind Ye Old Manse. Looking out the window from inside Ye Old Boat House. This bridge in Concord was the sight of the "shot heard round the world" - the first organized battle of the American Revolution. The British troops held this bridge and the American militia charged it on April 19, 1775.
We also went out to Walden Pond, which I will forever more call Walden Lake. The word "pond" must've sounded more literary.

8 comments:

Cameron said...

Great Travelogue. You will do well with this in next testimony meeting (I suggest using Microsoft Powerpoint, if possible).

I admit I did have to use Google (www.google.com) to find out who Jennifer Connelly was.

Aubrey said...

She and I go way back to her Labyrinth days. Her eyebrows were thicker back then.

Tatum said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Congrats! We are glad to have you back though, glad to have you back.

David said...

I am with Cameron on the Jennifer Connelly deal.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun living out my dreams. I only have one question - did you meet the pigeon lady from Home Alone 2?

The end.

Carlos said...

Wow! The whole tour in just a few minutes of interesting reading and a few photos. Be kind to the Statue of Liberty--she is a harbor chick and saved our butts in The Ghostbusters. I not only had to look up Jennifer Connally, but I had to go to askjeeves.com to find out what "google" means.
Nice trip. Now if Brooke and I go, we will know what to look for--all those small doors. You know, there is a lot good to say about little doors. Finally, where the heck are my Doston Daked Deans! I am at chapter in my ventriloguist book and I am stuck!

Courtney said...

I loved reading about everything you did and also am glad you guys are home. Hopefully one of the little people will be home when I get to Boston.

Aubrey said...

If so, say hello for me. I was quite disappointed that I didn't get to meet any of them.

Sarah said...

YAY for NYC and me making it into your blog! Woo-Hoo! Like the slacker that I am I STILL have pictures we took (after the Jazz concert and dinner @ Kelley & Pings) that I have yet to send to you. I'm getting there! Are you still thinking of moving here?
It was so fun hanging out, I miss you! ~XO~