Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Another reason to dislike cats.

Early this morning, around 5 a.m., I heard the baby crying. I went to check on her, and she was sound asleep. I went back to bed and heard her crying again. Then I realized the sound was coming from outside the window. Someone had put a baby outside our window!

Once I was awake enough to think clearly, it became apparent that it was a cat. A few minutes later it was two cats. One cat that sounded like a baby, and another cat that sounded like a stray cat.

The obvious thing to do was to wake up Col, which I did for a plethora of reasons. First, it was very important that he hear the cat that sounded exactly like a baby crying. Otherwise, when I told him about it the next morning he wouldn't have believed me, just like when the neighbor's dog bit me and he didn't believe me until I showed him the puncture wound in my leg. Also, it was, of course, his duty to get dressed and go outside in the cold to get rid of the cats.

He came in a few minutes later and we listened to the cats that were still whining, but now from farther away.

Then the baby started crying.


If you feel sorry for the cats, click here.

If you feel sorry for us, click here.

11 comments:

Tatum said...

I am laughing so hard I have to go to the bathroom! That was hilarious. I hope you recored the sound.

Tatum said...

recorded

ingelheimfive said...

We had a feral cat move into our neighborhood about 10 years ago. He would beat up our black cat every night. I got a trap/cage from animal control and put a can of tuna in it and put it out on the porch in the back. Sure enough, the next morning the cage held the ugliest, matted white cat I have ever seen. He was WILD and when we took him in, they said they would put him down that day. No one wants a feral cat. Scary.

Aubrey said...

Did they charge you for the trap/cage? I think we need about 7 of them.

ingelheimfive said...

Nope. I just had to pick it up and drop it off. Those cats are crazy though and you don't want them to get close enough to scratch you. This one hissed and growled the whole way to the pound. I got the impression that they were going to sedate him in the cage. Btw, I used a can of tuna in oil that had been on my food storage shelf forever. Kind of a sad last meal...

Courtney said...

Could you update your post, that picture really freaks me out.

Judson said...

if you could experience just a fraction of the entertainment my mentally challenged cat has given over the years, you would definately have a change of heart.

Aubrey said...

Be glad I didn't put up pictures from that animal shelter website. Yikes.

The Dixon Family said...

Jud has a good way to catch a cat. You just need some rope and a slip knot.

jillmaren said...

Do you know if the cats are, in fact, feral or if they belong to the neighbors? they might just be in heat. Try throwing water on them.

Aubrey said...

There really are about 10 cats that lurk around every night. One is always under my car when I leave for work in the morning. They're very mangy and scary looking - I'd be pretty shocked if they belonged to anyone.