Saturday, June 10, 2006

Liquid Metal

Last night we bought a new thermostat. The old one has never worked very well - it would read 70 degrees and feel like at least 80. So we went to Home Depot and after picking out new ceiling fans, we picked out a digital thermostat. When Col went to replace it, he found that the old one used Mercury. We took this picture and he mentioned that he'd like to keep the little vial. "Is it dangerous at all?" I asked. "Not as long as it doesn't break," he answered.

Minutes later, it broke. The Mercury separated on our table and we snapped this picture before cleaning it up. He enclosed the liquid metal globs in a mini ziplock baggie and said he'd throw it away. I think he wants to show it to a few people before he does.

No comments: