Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some OB offices are better than others...

Unfortunately, mine is proving to be on the lower end of the spectrum.

Yesterday I showed up for my appointment and the girl at the front desk told me that my OB had been called in to deliver and there was no one to fill in so they'd have to reschedule me. "This is the fourth time this has happened!" I said in frustration. Another girl behind the counter snapped "Well, you're the fourth person we've turned away!" Her intention was to help me realize that I'm not so special; I'm not the only one whose appointment was cancelled. This surprised me a bit and I said "So wait a minute. How long have you known she wouldn't be able to meet with me?" The answer was several hours. I had them check my record to make sure they have my work and cell numbers and then asked why they didn't call. They stared back at me blankly. I explained that I have to leave work for these appointments, and I would appreciate a call if they know there is a cancellation. They continued to stare at me blankly, and did not commit to calling me in the future.

This is not too much to ask! It should be standard procedure, in fact, and probably is at most medical offices. I find myself wondering if my OB realizes her staff treats her patients this way. I'm not one to be a stool pigeon, but I'm thinking about telling her. I wouldn't switch doctors at 9 1/2 months, but I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to this office. I hesitate to say anything though, because a small part of me doesn't want to cause problems for her or create any awkwardness since both my life and my baby's life are pretty much in her hands.

No comments: