Sunday, July 09, 2006

The thing about Volvos.

"The thing about Volvos is they're expensive to fix."

"The thing about Volvos is that most auto shops won't work on them."

These are the 2 statements we've heard the most since our Volvo broke down in Logan, Utah a few days ago. And you know what? They're right.

This is our car. It won't start. Some kind of problem with the ignition sensor. We had it towed to an auto shop in Logan and they said they didn't know enough about Volvos and we'd have to have it towed to the dealership in Salt Lake City. For those of you who've never had to have a vehicle towed 100 miles, it's not cheap.

The dealership told us they wouldn't be able to look at the car until Monday, which is tomorrow. We both had to be at work on Monday and if we had been in Hawaii, or Fiji we probably would've hung out until it was fixed, but we weren't. We were in Utah. Luckily, our friends were driving down to Phoenix and had room to give us a ride. So we left our car in Utah until further notice. My parents may be able to drive it down to us. If not, Col is going to have to fly up to retrieve it. My worry is:

towing bill + new ignition sensor + dealership labor bill = broken bank

We shall see.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Unless I can think of something funny to say I usually don't comment, but on this one I had to comment and say I'm sorry. That is the saddest post I've read lately. Good luck retrieving the car.

Aubrey said...

Thanks - all sympathy is appreciated. You do have to admit that the crash test dummy picture of our car is kind of funny.

Courtney said...

I read something even more sad today. But I am still sorry.

Carlos said...

Your story has touched my heart. Never before have I heard a story as sad as yours. Please accept my comment as a symbol of my sincere sympathy for you.

People in Sweden do not complain about Volvo's. Why should we? It could always be worse...and it could be soon.