Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Trauma at the dentist's laboratory.


I say laboratory, because it felt more like Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory than a dentist's office. Most of the drilling was done, so you'd think the worst part was over, but oh no. With my little ground-down tooth nubbin anxiously awaiting a crown, thunder shook the building and the power went out. I can tell you one thing for sure - you don't ever want to hear your dentist gasp "Oh no!"

Before long, the power came back on, revealing the panic in his eyes. Another thing you don't ever want to hear is your dentist telling the assistant to hurry because "we have to get this tooth covered before the power goes out again." With the power continuing to flicker, I seriously felt like I was a science experiment, especially since about this time the lidocaine wore off and I started feeling pain so they had to stick more needles into me. Luckily, the power stayed on long enough for the crown to be made and set.

As I left, I was walking down the hall and I overheard the dentist say to someone else "I've never done that before."

What?! Let's hope he meant he's never done it before with the light flickering on and off. Or maybe they had struck up a conversation about hang gliding.

No comments: